Dortmund’s salted cake
This article is about the basic recipe for Dortmund’s salted cake.
About 10 rolls
1 lb wheat flour, type 405 or 550
¼ pint milk
1 ½ oz fresh yeast
½ oz sugar
¼ pint water, lukewarm
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp milk
2 tbsp coarse salt
2 tbsp caraway seeds or more according to taste
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Heat the milk until lukewarm. Crumble the yeast into the milk, dissolve it and add some of the sugar. Pour the yeast milk into the well. Add the rest of the sugar with water and salt and knead the dough carefully. Cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- Knead it once again. Sprinkle the work surface with flour and form a roll of 5–6 cm diameter. Cut the roll into slices the width of a thumb and lay the slices with enough space between them on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make a well with your thumb in the middle of each piece of dough, cover the tray with a cloth and leave them to rise for a further 30 minutes.
- In the meantime pre-heat the oven to 430 °F.
- Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with salt and caraway seeds.
- Place the baking tray on the lowest rack of the pre-heated oven and bake the rolls for 20–25 minutes until light golden brown.